Record Store Day at Mojo Books & Records
This year is the 10th anniversary of Record Store Day... and also the 10th anniversary of Mojo Books & Records! Perhaps unsurprisingly, it's also the 10th year Mojo has done Record Store Day. This will be the best one yet. Hundreds of exclusive RSD releases, great bands, free beer, lots of sales, giveaways, and more. Come on out and help us celebrate!
As we have every year since the inception of Record Store Day, Mojo will offer a vast array of very special, limited edition, indie-store-only releases. We order pretty much everything, and in significant quantities, offering one of the best RSD selections in the state. If you came to us first the last few years, you know we do some intense RSD stocking.
The list of official RSD releases: http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases
We also order many of the unofficial and even some of the international RSD releases when we can get them, which will not be featured on this list.
*** DOORS OPEN AT 8am!!! ***
SALES, FREEBIES & OTHER SPECIAL OFFERINGS:
- Free beer after 3pm courtesy of PBR
- Free drawing for people in line before the doors open (former RSD releases and more)
- Free Mojo T-shirt for the first 10 people in line
- Free drink of your choice from the coffee bar for the first 10 people in line
- Free official Record Store Day goodie bags with purchase (while supplies last)
- Buy 1, Get 1 Free Budget Vinyl
- Buy 2, Get 1 Free CDs and DVDs
- Non-RSD new vinyl boxsets (4 LP+) will be on sale 10%-20% off
- VEGAN BAKESALE to help homeless animals, out front with a variety of seriously delicious goodies for a great cause – it's a Mojo Record Store Day tradition.
Mojo has been lucky to host some very memorable Record Store Day in-stores and this year will be no exception! All performances are free and all-ages.
Opening to afternoon: DJ Suspiria will be spinning RSD releases and more
4:15pm Luxury Mane
5:00pm Room Full of Strangers
5:45pm Frank Secich
7:15pm Jensen Serf Company
9:30pm Sleeping Pills
11:00pm Permanent Makeup
Music portion Co-produced by Mojo Books & Records and Pocket Sand
To answer some questions ahead of time:
- No, we cannot take pre-orders or do advance holds – to be fair, it's first come, first grab -- plus that would be against the RSD pledge we signed.
- There will be some releases that get postponed or canceled at the last minute, which is out of our hands and happens every year. But the majority of the releases will arrive on-time.
- Doors open at 8am. People will line up ahead of time. We've been told the line usually starts a few hours ahead of time, but it's totally up to individual discretion. Some of the most limited or most sought after releases will go very quickly, but we've always had a pretty decent selection remaining through the AM hours and we'll even be surprised when some great picks last through Sunday. So if you have a schedule conflict, it's still worth stopping by later. If you have your heart set on a particular release, however, we do recommend getting in line before 8am.
- During the morning hours, we strictly enforce a one-copy-per-title-per-customer rule. We want you to get as many different releases as your heart desires – we work really hard in the ordering to try to make this happen. Example: you can get Best Coast + Big Star + Bowie but not 3 of the same Bowie title. Make sense? This is basically the anti-ebay/pro-customer rule, which we've been doing for years and which RSD now asks all stores to employ. After noon when everyone's had their chance, if you want to pick up a 2nd copy of something for a friend, it's cool.
MOJO'S 10th ANNIVERSARY:
Between the vinyl and the performances, Record Store Day is always a great time. With it being Mojo's 10th anniversary, this year will be more meaningful than ever. People thought we were crazy when we opened a book & record store back in 2007, before the vinyl resurgence and when other independent stores were closing their doors. Then the recession hit a year later and times were tough, but we kept going. In 2011 we were able to grow and expand into our current location. Our goal has been to provide a welcoming community-focused space for books, records, and coffee, and to support local and touring musicians as a free/low-cost venue. We've been fortunate to host so many bands in so many genres, with acts ranging from Tampa Bay's tried-and-true best, to local musicians' amazing first public performances, to underground acts, to national acts like Bonnie Prince Billy, Angel Olsen, Alex G, Speedy Ortiz, and others. Thank you so much to all of you who have supported us through the years and who continue to patronize Mojo. With your support, we look forward to serving you another 10 years.
Hope we'll be seeing you soon.
Room Full of Strangers
Jensen Serf Company
Mojo Books & Records
Tampa , Fl