Find and visit a Local Record Store and get phone number and directions (call first, there is no guarantee which products may be in stock locally)
Purchase now from a local store that sells online
Purchase digitally now from recordstoreday.com (which serves local record stores)
Find a local store
1. Walker: Antifonys for String Orchestra
2. Walker: Sinfonia No. 4, "Strands"
3. Walker: I. When Lilacs Last in the Dooryard Bloom'd
4. Walker: II. O Powerful Western Fallen Star!
5. Walker: III. in the Dooryard Fronting An Old Farm-House
6. Walker: IV. Sing on, Sing on You Gray-Brown Bird
7. Walker: Sinfonia No. 5, "Visions" (Voice and Orchestra)
Led by Music Director Franz Welser-Möst, The Cleveland Orchestra releases a new audio recording featuring music by George Walker. The album offers an exploration of the composer's Pulitzer Prize-winning "Lilacs" for voice and orchestra with soprano Latonia Moore, as well as Antifonys for string orchestra, and Sinfonias No. 4 and No. 5. "George Walker's music is so dense that ten minutes are as emotionally exhausting as other music which is three times as long. It's tricky, it's difficult, it's demanding, it's challenging, and there is an intensity and a real voice which I enjoy enormously." says Franz Welser-Möst. This recording further expands on The Cleveland Orchestra's perpetual drive to learn and promote new works. The Walker album features four works spanning fifty years by a pioneering American composer, showcasing his singular vision and meticulously crafted sound world.